Sunday, February 8, 2009

Halloween Recruits

Most of you know that I am a health nut. I love to be healthy and talk about being healthy. Well, the apartment we live in isn't in a great position to get trick-or-treaters and I have been sort of glad. The idea of handing out candy seems odd to me. This year, we asked 2 of our health-conscious friends to bring their kids over so we could at least enjoy the costumes. I went to the store and bought some healthy licorice (sweetened with molasses--Panda licorice, it's our favorite) to give to them. It was great. They don't take their kids trick-or-treating because of the junk they get, instead they have family parties and one family has a fun tradition of the Halloween Witch coming and taking their candy in exchange for a present while they sleep.


This is our one visitor this year...the other family forgot. We were waiting up excited, but we ate their licorice! We loved our first real trick-or-treaters.

3 comments:

Aaron & Michelle said...

That's awesome!!! Sometimes I wonder about the whole candy thing to. But traditions are to strong now that I have an 11 year old to change my mind. Love you.

Our Family said...

those are such cute costumes. my kids would love a more real looking horse to ride with their costumes rather than a stick one!ha! way to go on eating healthy too. matt still has a whole pillow case full of candy that he forgot about under our bed. it just got discovered by him. pretty funny! :)

Tiffany said...

yay for you! cameron went trunk or treating, had a few pieces that night, and forgot about it completely. he never had another piece. i would've thrown it away months ago but tyler keeps it on top of the fridge. it's his only source of sugar in the house. last night he was looking for something for a treat and picked up our 5 year old box of cocoa powder... i'm sure that would've tasted wonderfully nasty.