Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ragnar 2012

Doug was convinced earlier this year that it would be fun to stay up all night in a van and pop out every-so-often and run 5-7 miles...even at 2 am in a race just under 200 miles where you're up almost 30+ hours without much sleep.  I can hardly believe that I almost joined the team as well.  What was a I thinking?  :-)

Here he is in an 18-passenger van with one bench removed so they could have a bed and take turns sleeping.  Notice Doug hugging our foam roller to 'roll out' his sore muscles?  Yup, there was lots of rolling necessary.  


It is a relay-style race with 12 members of the team each running 3 legs.  Here is Doug about to receive the slap-on bracelet that they used instead of a baton.  


He said that his stretches of the race were the most beautiful scenery he had ever enjoyed while running.  I think he forgets that I was his running partner for several years...


He ended up with a few injured teammates and finished a leg for someone with serious blisters.  He ran almost 22 miles in 30 hours with 2 hours of sleep.

I was recruited to volunteer for their team.  Each team is required to provide 3 volunteers for them to compete.  I arrived at 8 am and was handed an XXL orange vest and a neon orange baton to makes sure no cars entered where the shuttles were coming in and out taking the teams for the finish line.  I was the last station before the finish line.


I got my shirt when my shift ended at 2:30 and headed to the outlet mall for a little shopping while I waited for Doug to get to station 35.  I came back and cheered for him as he ran into my station.  It had been a steep downhill for 7 miles and he made it in just over 50 minutes.  He was flying!

I headed home to put our kids to bed and let Doug celebrate at the finish line with his team.


When I left, there was a flyer on my car for the Dirty Dash.  My family has signed up and will be doing it together in September.  I am SO excited!!


No comments: