Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What relief looks like

There are significant birth defects in my family history...mostly heart problems.  Doug's family has a history of heart disease.  Between the two, I have wondered if there's a reason why we have a difficult time having kids...perhaps our genes are destined to have issues.  :-)

My last two ultrasounds showed a small abnormality in the heart that my OB sees quite often and it usually just "goes away" on the next ultrasound.  He thinks it's just because ultrasound technology has improved so they are seeing more detail.  It looks like a 'bright spot' in one of the chambers.  After I mentioned my family history, he sent us to a pediatric cardiologist for a fetal echocardiogram of our little baby's heart.  He said it was only because of my family history.

I didn't think I was anxious.  I had felt that every thing was fine.  I didn't think I would feel so much relief when the doctor told us that her heart was completely normal for this stage of development.  It was then that I realized that I had been a bit nervous.  I couldn't help but snap of photo of myself on the way out of the hospital with a big smile on my face.


No comments: