Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Is this really happening?

We came to the hospital at 7 am this morning to feed the babies. My day has been busy ever since. Sydney took 50 cc again and Ethan 25 cc. I jumped in my car and drove to work (with my pump running). After missing yesterday, I had a bunch of stuff to do. I walked out of my office at noon (I've been working 9 am to noon at the office) and drove to the hospital again. When I came in the door, the nurse told me that Sydney had been moved to 'on demand' feedings and Ethan to 4 per day (instead of 3).

I was stunned.

On Demand: This means I feed her when she is hungry and they don't use her feeding tube. If it goes well until tomorrow at 1 pm, they will pull her feeding tube! In addition, I will be feeding her throughout the night--so I am staying in the hospital. The doctor ordered that she needs to get a minimum of 163 cc per shift (about 4-5 feedings). If she does that, I will be here boarding until I leave with 2 babies!

At 1 pm, Sydney got an estimated 50 cc (long story--the scale showed she lost weight, but the nurse didn't believe it and gave 50 cc to her credit) and Ethan took 35 cc. I ran home and grabbed some food. I started packing and came back for the 4:30 feeding with Sydney. She took 50 cc again.

I ran home again through traffic and finished packing in 20 minutes--food and all. Hopefully I have everything I need. My heart feels like it is still racing. Sydney's 7 pm feeding wasn't as good, 30 cc. Ethan took 50 cc and then 10 cc that Doug gave him in the bottle. The doctor came in to talk to us tonight and said she thinks Ethan will go 'on demand' tomorrow. We discussed a few things with her:

1. Sydney's oxygen. We don't want to take her home on oxygen, but we'll do it. She assured us that she can be weaned of oxygen and is confident she won't need it when she goes home.

2. Ethan and Sydney leaving separately. We are nervous that Sydney will be ready to go and our insurance will 'kick her out' and we'll need to leave Ethan here alone. The thought makes me so sad. She again assured us that they should be going home together. She said it's possible, but not likely at this point that they would leave separately.

3. She said she wouldn't promise, but said she is pretty confident that we will go home by the weekend...possibly Friday! That will make for a great birthday next Tuesday. That's my goal--home by my birthday.

We can't believe this is happening. It was great to call Doug and give him the news and hear him be just a shocked as I am. We can't wait to bring them home. Funny how I was 'nesting' a bit last night and started cleaning out my bathroom cupboards (didn't get far). My house is a disaster, their room is nearly ready, and life is bliss.

8 comments:

Joy Bells said...

So wonderful to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It doesn't seem possible that they could be coming home so soon, but to you I am sure it seems more than possible. Prayers are headed down I-15 to 800 N. in Orem!
Love you four!

jenn said...

So incredible!!!!! I was just talking to mom about coming to see them tomorrow. sounds like it may be the last visit to TRH . . .. yeah!!!! you all deserve it!

Sarah Keller said...

Whoo hoo! I am so excited for you!!! Can't wait to meet them. Sar

Judy said...

That is soooo exciting. We may get our window visit pretty soon now only it will be from Your front window!

Aaron & Michelle said...

Yessssssssssssssss!!!!!!! So exciting for me. I can't imagine how you and Doug are feeling. Give them kisses and hugs from me.

Tiffany said...

yes!!!!! how exciting! call me later!

Natalie said...

I am smiling all the way from LA for you=) I wish I could be there to see them.

Lynda said...

those babies just don't want to miss the wedding festivities! Hooray!