Sunday, December 2, 2012

Binki passing

When Ethan was fussing for his binki last night (as he has been doing so more frequently), I said to him, "maybe we just need to find a baby at church tomorrow and give your binkis to another baby."  I have said something to this affect often in hopes of someday having the courage to do it.

This morning I was getting ready for church and heard Ethan tell Doug that he wanted to bring his binkis to church.  I was immediately opposed as I thought he would just stick them in his mouth.  Doug said, "he told me that you told him he'd give his binkis to another baby at church."  What was I to say to that?

He put 3 binkis in his pocket and we waltzed off to church.

In the hallway, Ethan spotted a baby and said, "mom I want to give my binkis to that baby."  I approached the mom and she must have not understood what I was trying to accomplish and said, "he doesn't like them."  I told Ethan we'd find another baby who wanted the binkis.

During sacrament meeting, I had a diaper to change and when leaving the bathroom, I spotted a child about 14 months old or so whom I'd seen with a binki every week.  I suggested that this was 'the baby' to Ethan.  He paused for moment and then walked up and he handed the baby the binkis (after a brief discussion with his mom where I told her that they were not sanitized).  The 'baby' smiled so big and his mom said he has to have three of them at all times.  It seemed they would come in handy for them.  :-)

I immediately congratulated him and hugged him and took him back into sacrament meeting to tell his daddy.  I didn't know what to expect from this point.

We went home for nap time and I was nervous. I cuddled with Ethan as he sobbed for his binkis.  Looking in his eyes, it wasn't anger but just complete sadness and grief.  He looked as if someone (or something) had died.  I cried with him a for a moment knowing how hard this was for him.  After about 20 minutes, he settled as I reminded him about the 'baby' and how he had smiled so big when Ethan handed him the binkis.

I was shocked that it was the only real big 'fit' that he pitched about his loss.  He has asked for his binkis back a few times and I reminded him of how much that baby loved his binkis and he will shed a few tears and be okay.  What a big day for our growing boy.  It has made me realize how much they're growing up and made me a little teary again.



No comments: