Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 19

It has happened. As of today, both babies are now over 4 pounds!
Sydney gained 80 grams and is up to 1830 grams--4 lbs .5 oz
Ethan gained 40 grams and is up to 1910--4 lbs 3 oz

They changed their feedings to accommodate for the extra weight to 38 cc for Ethan and 37 cc for Sydney. Do you notice chubbier cheeks? We think we do on Sydney:


Today's 1:00 pm feeding went really well. Ethan was pretty upset when his 30 minutes were up. The nurse started his gavage (tube feeding) a little late, so he was hungry! As they get bigger, they will have more of a response to hunger--they will cry. That was a little funny to find out. I just thought we had really patient babies. Instead, I found out that they are just too small to recognize their hunger. I gave him his binki to help him feel better. I stuck the flip camera in the bed to show his sucking. That bed is pretty small--it is a little close, but I thought it was funny. He is sucking really loud.


We've been told that this week is going to be tough with little changes except weight gain. They weren't kidding. Ethan's foot will be cast tomorrow afternoon. We hope to meet Dr. Faux to hear what he thinks of his foot.

5 comments:

Joy Bells said...

Dad and I loved visiting with them last night, but the children were not in the mood to visit. Sleeping was more on their minds. Ethan would give us his "popeye" look every once in awhile, and little missy was a bed hog. So darling and sooooo cute. They really are changing. We will pray for more miracles. Love you four!

Judy said...

Karen, Jennifer and I want to come do a window visit. What do we need to do to make that happen?

Heather said...

It depends on how lenient their nurse is that day, but what we've found is that we have to be there when you come. So, we'll need to coordinate so I can make sure they let you past the front desk. The nurses prefer that you come after feeding time which is around 2:15 pm or 8:15 pm.

Angie said...

You are doing great! You're just getting tired. Hospital stays are not fun. Those little ones are going to be just fine. Just let them grow as their bodies are ready. It's so easy to want more. I know you want them home, but they couldn't be in a better place with all the specific care the nurses and therapists are trained for. You get them home, then you will really be tired..... I'm thrilled they are over 4 lbs! CONGRATULATIONS! And yes, I think Sydney's cheeks are a little chubbier.... I used to get so discouraged when I tried to nurse my babies and they were not as tiny as these little ones. Actually, with their bodies being so tiny, they are making tremendous stides!! Luv Angie

overtonmom said...

Isn't it crazy how you can get sooooo excited over 4 pounds. They are so cute and I can't wait to meet them in March. Love you both

Aunt Carrie